Chuhuev Community Law Center in Kharkiv region received a visitor: Olena Sergiyvna*, an old woman from Zolochiv village. She has read an article on “Legal Space” web-site about a situation that happened to be similar to her own problem.
Indeed, she was refused a special pension accorded for long-term work in the same place. The local Pension fund rejected her demand to raise her pension. Olena has been working for 22 years and 9 months at her local Zolochiv school as a music teacher and has relevant records to prove her pedagogical experience.
Olena Sergiyvna turned to Chuhuev Community Law Center and asked for help. Zolochiv village is not situated in Chuhuev district, but lawyers agreed to take her case. Without proper pension, the old woman wouldn’t be able to live decently.
Roman Lykhachev, pro bono lawyers and head of Chuhuev human rights defense group, prepared all papers and represented Olena in Zolochiv local court with the help of Chuhuev Community Law Center volunteer Ivan Mudrachenko.
The lawyer proved the local Pension fund to be wrong. The court ruled in favor of Olena Sergiyvna. She will receive full pension from now on.
* Names changed due to ethical reasons
- The bank blocked the account: how the client restored access to child benefits
- Fingerprints of children were taken in Kovel for the sake of safety
- Synergy in action: lawyers visualize their ideas
- How human rights defenders briefly became researchers
- The family that moved within their native city managed to receive IDP status